Monday 11 September 2017

Bright lights

I give thanks for lots of things today. Good friends of course, and my poor ailing body valiantly trudging on...and various little moments of OKness here and there.

I give thanks for the deepest delight of experiencing one of my greatest pleasures - going somewhere new. For the lush grandeur of the hotel...check out the chandeliers!


For the friendly scale of the city, and the friendliness of the people we met...for the way a taxi driver at the lights jumped out of his cab, and a cyclist screeched to a halt to see if they could help a pedestrian who'd slipped on the wet pavement.

For the great tenderness of the universe which seemed to have decided as I can't go overseas, that overseas should come to me  so that within half an hour of arriving we were eating buckwheat crêpes served by a young man from the south of France. (Oh you know how I feel about crêpes...and accents!). We found an authentically staffed shop selling authentic Spanish goods - I'm going back to get a mini paella dish just right for tarte tatin! Also in the wonderful vast indoor market we drooled over Italian and Turkish delicacies before finding an international food week with a line of stalls outside and coming back to our slightly strange but adequate room with take away dhal and rice, with onion pakoras for in indoor tea after we've checked out the indoor pool, jacuzzi etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics