Sunday 17 September 2017

Dressing down

My heavens I needed that break away... I give great thanks I got it! A year ago the sciatica was just settling in, and as I was due in hospital for hernia surgery I imagined a few day's rest and I'd be fine. I give thanks for my optimism, innocence and ignorance of how very unhappily wrong I was about to be on this and many other matters. I give thanks for feeling some optimism again...and for maybe being a bit better at just enjoying that and not expecting anything more.

While I was away I kept meaning to note my gratitude to Jan for minor but much needed nursing assistance, changing the dry dressing on my arm and applying and removing the waterproof topping which would be impossible with just one hand I think. I remembered while having to clingfilm myself last night for a bath. I give thanks I can do that one-handed though not easily...

I give thanks for a good firm mattress beneath me again, for the early sunlight at my window. For a pleasant day pottering about with various tasks of varying degrees of necessity, in between reading a book and catching up with recorded TV.  For giving the fridge a really good clean...including scrubbing the folds of the door seal, and disposing of ancient inedible items lurking in the bottom of bottles and jars. For not needing to do my hair or wear anything for anything other than cosiness and comfort. For the poignancy of autumn...the chill behind the sunshine, and the mournful cry of crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics