Tuesday 12 September 2017

Hairy stiles

Phew! I give thanks for Jan bringing me a cup of tea or two in the last twenty four hours...the latest one after I brought back hummus and olives from a handy station supermarket shop at the end of a surprisingly energetic day.

Sometimes the 'serving suggestion' brochure images of a place promise more than they deliver don't they? (like the hotel pool and spa) so I give thanks for the glorious panorama promised at the Roman fort we went to today was at least as splendid as it had been cracked up to be. For the weather being mostly kind...and the great bleak beauty of the surroundings. For visiting an area I have wanted to for many years...and thought I never would/could.


I give thanks for giving up struggling with the tricksy latch on a gate and negotiating a stile designed for a race of giants instead. For the slight sense of 'Oh get on with it, woman!' I was feeling from Jan, waiting behind me as I tottered and squeaked,  giving way to much tottering and squeaking from her when she made her own attempt. That we found a wall in the woods way round to avoid a repeat performance on the way back to the bus stop. It's great walking country and we didn't want to provide comic entertainment to the tramping troops we encountered all day. For the bizarre way we kept re-meeting several couples and groups in different places throughout it...maybe they'd heard if they followed us we might do amusing non athletic attempts at climbing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Statistics